S2E5: Head Transplants
Why don’t we have head transplants? Why would someone need one? And how much of you is in your head — and how much is everywhere else?
Featuring Dr. Brandy Schillace, author of the book “Mr. Humble and Dr. Butcher: A Monkey’s Head, the Pope’s Neuroscientist, and the Quest to Transplant the Soul.” Pick it up here: https://amzn.to/2TniY91
Citations and further reading:
- Kidney Transplant Rejection, University of Rochester Life Sciences Learning Center (2009)
- Self antigens. In: Moreland L.W. (eds) Rheumatology and Immunology Therapy. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. (2004)
- History of transplantation, United Network of Organ Sharing. (2021)
- What Is Death, Exactly? by Ryan Montoya, Scientific American (2019)
- Some footage of Dr. White’s surgery via Inside Edition
- Craig. A. Vetovitz, 1951-2017, The Plain Dealer & Cleveland.com
- Chemical Hope by Sam Kean, Distillations — Science History Institute (2017)
- Three people with spinal-cord injuries regain control of their leg muscles by Matthew Warren, Nature (2018)
- Peculiar Book Club: Esteemed Home of the Quirky, Quizzical, Curious and Bizarre
Visit tabooscience.show for more.
Taboo Science is written and produced by Ashley Hamer. Theme music by Danny Lopatka of DLC Music.