Why do we treat some animals as food and others as family? Is animal agriculture really as bad as vegans say it is? And if I want to change things, is veganism my only option?
Featuring Melanie Joy, social psychologist, founding president of the NGO Beyond Carnism, and author of "Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows."
Citations and further reading:
- The countries where people still eat cats and dogs for dinner, BBC News (2017)
- Why Don’t Americans Eat Horse? By Tim Forster, Eater (2017)
- Why Judaism and Islam Prohibit Eating Pork and Consuming Blood as a Food? Ilia Brondz, Voice of the Publisher (2018)
- The ‘Splainer: What makes the cow sacred to Hindus? by Kimberly Winston, Washington Post (2015)
- For Most People, Eating Bugs Is Only Natural by Sharon Guynup, National Geographic (2004)
- War and Peace by Max Roser, Our World in Data (2019)
- This is how many animals we eat each year by Alex Thornton, World Economic Forum (2019)
- How Many People Have Ever Lived on Earth? By Toshiko Kaneda, Population Reference Bureau (2020)
- Meat processing - Livestock slaughter procedures, Britannica.
- Rault, Jean-Loup, Donald C. Lay Jr, and Jeremy N. Marchant-Forde. (2011) Castration induced pain in pigs and other livestock. Applied Animal Behaviour Science
- Dehorning: “Standard Practice” on Dairy Farms by Anna Schecter and Drew Sandholm, ABC News (2010)
- By 2020, Male Chicks May Avoid Death By Grinder by Maryn Mckenna, National Geographic (2016)
- France to ban culling of unwanted male chicks by end of 2021, BBC News (2020)
- United Egg Producers Updated Statement on Male Chicks, United Egg Producers (2021)
- Elwood, R. W. (2011). Pain and Suffering in Invertebrates? ILAR Journal
- It’s Official: Fish Feel Pain by Ferris Jabr, Hakai Magazine/Smithsonian Magazine (2018)
- Infants’ Sense of Pain Is Recognized, Finally by Phillip M. Boffey, The New York Times (1987)
- Can animals feel pain? by Lynne U. Sneddon, The Wellcome Trust (2004)
- Meat and heart disease by Lucy Trevallion, British Heart Foundation. (2020)
- Eating meat linked to higher risk of diabetes, Duke-NUS Medical School (2017)
- Meat consumption contributing to global obesity, University of Adelaide (2016)
Follow Taboo Science on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts.
Suggest a taboo topic via email@example.com.
Visit tabooscience.show for more.
Taboo Science is written and produced by Ashley Hamer. Theme music by Danny Lopatka of DLC Music.