They're complex, mysterious, and easy to blame for everything from unexplained symptoms to seemingly superhuman abilities. Find out how we discovered hormones, what they do inside of us, and who's really controlling who.
Featuring Randi Hutter Epstein author of "Aroused, the History of Hormones and How They Control Just About Everything."
Citations and further reading:
- Rooster experiment video from Randi Hutter Epstein’s students
- Diabetes symptoms: When diabetes symptoms are a concern, Mayo Clinic
- Diabetic Neuropathy: Causes and Symptoms by Sari Harrar, EndocrineWeb
- Glands & Hormones A-Z, Hormone Health Network
- 8 Testosterone-Boosting Foods by Kristeen Cherney, Healthline (2020)
- Hamilton-Reeves, J. M., Vazquez, G., Duval, S. J., Phipps, W. R., Kurzer, M. S., & Messina, M. J. (2010). Clinical studies show no effects of soy protein or isoflavones on reproductive hormones in men: results of a meta-analysis. Fertility and Sterility.
- Five women banned from Tokyo Olympics events by Adam Barnes, The Hill (2021)
- The complicated truth about testosterone’s effect on athletic performance by Sarah Chodosh, Popular Science (2019)
Follow Taboo Science on Twitter and Instagram.
Visit tabooscience.show for more.
Taboo Science is written and produced by Ashley Hamer. Theme music by Danny Lopatka of DLC Music.