Why are we so grossed out by acne? What is it that makes popping pimples so satisfying? And why doesn't acne go away after adolescence?
Today's guest is Dr. Alexa Shipman, a consultant dermatologist for the NHS in the United Kingdom.
Citations and further reading:
- Stigmatization of Acne, American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting 2016
- Vallerand, I. A., et. al. (2018). Risk of depression among patients with acne in the U.K.: a population-based cohort study. British Journal of Dermatology, 178(3), e194–e195. https://doi.org/10.1111/bjd.16099
- Grant, R. N. R. (1951). The history of acne.
- What is Hidradenitis suppurativa (acne inversa)? by Yolanda Smith, News-Medical.net
- Here's Why People Are Obsessed With Popping Pimples by Markham Heid, Time
- This Is What It Means if You Enjoy Watching Pimple Popping Videos by Julie Stewart, Men’s Health
- About iPLEDGE
- The Scorched-Earth Acne Solution by Emily Goldberg, The Atlantic
Taboo Science made Discover Pods' list of the Best Podcasts of 2020!
Suggest a taboo topic via email@example.com.
Visit tabooscience.show for more.
Taboo Science is written and produced by Ashley Hamer. Theme music by Danny Lopatka of DLC Music.