Why do we keep early pregnancy a secret? How long have we been giving birth in hospitals? And why is childbirth so painful?
Today's guest is Tina Cassidy, author of the book “Birth: The Surprising History of How We Are Born.”
Citations and further reading:
- The Miracle of Life (1983), by NOVA - Review by Inbar Maayan (2010)
- The Real Reasons Why Childbirth Is so Painful and Dangerous by Colin Barras, BBC Earth (2016)
- Big Baby Boom: Supersize Deliveries Have Doctors Worried by Linda Carroll and Bill Briggs, NBC News (2013)
- Drife, J. (2002). The start of life: a history of obstetrics. Postgraduate Medical Journal.
- 31 surprising things you may not know about pregnancy by Lindsay Dodgson, Insider (2018)
- Hytten F. (2018). Blood volume changes in normal pregnancy. Clinics in Haematology
- Pregnancy week by week, Mayo Clinic (2020)
- A Breakdown of Miscarriage Rates by Week by Rena Goldman, Healthline (2018)
- National Center for Health Statistics — Method of Delivery, CDC (2020)
- Rate Of C-Sections Is Rising At An 'Alarming' Rate, Report Says by Michaeleen Doucleff, NPR News (2018)
- Planned Home Birth. (2017). The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
- Why Is American Home Birth So Dangerous? by Amy Tuteur, New York Times (2016)
- Hospital births far safer for U.S. newborns than home births by Tamara Mathias, Reuters (2020)
- Collier, A. Y., & Molina, R. L. (2019). Maternal Mortality in the United States: Updates on Trends, Causes, and Solutions. NeoReviews.
Follow Taboo Science on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts.
Suggest a taboo topic via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit tabooscience.show for more.
Taboo Science is written and produced by Ashley Hamer. Theme music by Danny Lopatka of DLC Music.