What is depression, really? Do antidepressants actually work? And how can ketamine and psilocybin possibly help?
Featuring Gerard Sanacora, director of the Yale Depression Research Program and Co-director of the Yale Interventional Psychiatry Service.
Citations and further reading:
- Depression Isn't Always What You Think: The Subtle Signs by Alice G. Walton, Forbes (2015)
- Recognizing the “unusual” signs of depression by Stephanie Watson, Harvard Health (2013)
- Depression Fact Sheet, World Health Organization (2020)
- DSM-IV to DSM-5 Major Depressive Episode/Disorder Comparison. (2016) Nih.gov; Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (US).
- Pies, R. W. (2014). The Bereavement Exclusion and DSM-5: An Update and Commentary. Innovations in Clinical Neuroscience, 11(7-8), 19–22.
- Depression Fact Sheet, Cleveland Clinic (2020)
- How Different Antidepressants Work by R. Morgan Griffin, WebMD (2021)
- What Are MAO Inhibitors? by Brian Krans, Healthline (2018)
- Tricyclic Antidepressants vs. SSRIs by Thomas Christiansen, The Recovery Village (2020)
- Drugs of Abuse: A DEA Research Guide, 2017 Edition
- Duman, R. S., Sanacora, G., & Krystal, J. H. (2019). Altered Connectivity in Depression: GABA and Glutamate Neurotransmitter Deficits and Reversal by Novel Treatments. Neuron, 102(1), 75–90.
- Ketamine vs. Esketamine for Depression by Deborah Serani, Psychology Today (2019)
- Understanding Unapproved Use of Approved Drugs "Off Label", US Food & Drug Administration (2018)
- Davis, A. K., Barrett, F. S., May, D. G., Cosimano, M. P., Sepeda, N. D., Johnson, M. W., Finan, P. H., & Griffiths, R. R. (2021). Effects of Psilocybin-Assisted Therapy on Major Depressive Disorder. JAMA Psychiatry, 78(5), 481.
- Psychedelic Treatment with Psilocybin Relieves Major Depression, Study Shows; Johns Hopkins Medicine Press Release (2020)
Visit tabooscience.show for more.
Taboo Science is written and produced by Ashley Hamer. Theme music by Danny Lopatka of DLC Music.