What is depression, really? Do antidepressants actually work? And how can ketamine and psilocybin possibly help?
Featuring Gerard Sanacora, director of the Yale Depression Research Program and Co-director of the Yale Interventional Psychiatry Service.
Citations and further reading:
- Depression Isn't Always What You Think: The Subtle Signs by Alice G. Walton, Forbes (2015)
- Recognizing the “unusual” signs of depression by Stephanie Watson, Harvard Health (2013)
- Depression Fact Sheet, World Health Organization (2020)
- DSM-IV to DSM-5 Major Depressive Episode/Disorder Comparison. (2016) Nih.gov; Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (US).
- Pies, R. W. (2014). The Bereavement Exclusion and DSM-5: An Update and Commentary. Innovations in Clinical Neuroscience, 11(7-8), 19–22.
- Depression Fact Sheet, Cleveland Clinic (2020)
- How Different Antidepressants Work by R. Morgan Griffin, WebMD (2021)
- What Are MAO Inhibitors? by Brian Krans, Healthline (2018)
- Tricyclic Antidepressants vs. SSRIs by Thomas Christiansen, The Recovery Village (2020)
- Drugs of Abuse: A DEA Research Guide, 2017 Edition
- Duman, R. S., Sanacora, G., & Krystal, J. H. (2019). Altered Connectivity in Depression: GABA and Glutamate Neurotransmitter Deficits and Reversal by Novel Treatments. Neuron, 102(1), 75–90.
- Ketamine vs. Esketamine for Depression by Deborah Serani, Psychology Today (2019)
- Understanding Unapproved Use of Approved Drugs "Off Label", US Food & Drug Administration (2018)
- Davis, A. K., Barrett, F. S., May, D. G., Cosimano, M. P., Sepeda, N. D., Johnson, M. W., Finan, P. H., & Griffiths, R. R. (2021). Effects of Psilocybin-Assisted Therapy on Major Depressive Disorder. JAMA Psychiatry, 78(5), 481.
- Psychedelic Treatment with Psilocybin Relieves Major Depression, Study Shows; Johns Hopkins Medicine Press Release (2020)
Subscribe to the BRAND NEW newsletter!
Follow Taboo Science on Twitter and Instagram.
Visit tabooscience.show for more.
Taboo Science is written and produced by Ashley Hamer. Theme music by Danny Lopatka of DLC Music.