What was the original purpose of marriage? What's up with all those wedding traditions? And what makes a marriage last?
Featuring Stephanie Coontz, researcher and author of Marriage, a History: How Love Conquered Marriage.
Citations and further reading:
- Prehistoric humans are likely to have formed mating networks to avoid inbreeding, University of Cambridge (2017)
- Timeline of the Human Condition by C. Patrick Doncaster, University of Southampton (2021)
- From Ritual to Morality: Where Deeds and Words Meet by Richard Sosis, Center for Humans & Nature
- Edwards, W. (1987). The Commercialized Wedding as Ritual: A Window on Social Values. Journal of Japanese Studies, 13(1), 51–78. JSTOR. https://doi.org/10.2307/132586
- 21 Surprising Historical Duties of the Wedding Party by Jen Doll, Mental Floss (2016)
More from Stephanie Coontz:
- Marriage, a History: How Love Conquered Marriage by Stephanie Coontz (2006)
- The Way We Never Were: American Families and the Nostalgia Trap by Stephanie Coontz (2016)
- How to Make Your Marriage Gayer by Stephanie Coontz, The New York Times (2020)
- For a Better Marriage, Act Like a Single Person by Stephanie Coontz, The New York Times (2018)
- National Spouses Day Is This Sunday…. Feeling Any Pressure? by Stephanie Coontz, The Council on Contemporary Families (2020)
- Not All Housework is Created Equal: Particular Housework Tasks and Couples’ Relationship Quality by Stephanie Coontz, The Council on Contemporary Families (2018)
- Research is in on sexual satisfaction for today’s marrieds by Stephanie Coontz, The Council on Contemporary Families (2016)
Suggest a taboo topic via email@example.com.
Visit tabooscience.show for more.
Taboo Science is written and produced by Ashley Hamer. Theme music by Danny Lopatka of DLC Music.